Pick Up/Drop Off
Students are dismissed from school at 2:35pm. Students are either bus riders, car riders, day care riders, bike riders, after care, or true walkers. It is best for your child(ren) to have a consistent way home each day. You will be asked at Meet the Teacher to indicate on the My Way Home Form how your child(ren) will be picked up or go home. Walkers are ONLY for TRUE WALKERS. This means a parent is NOT in their car parking and walking to pick up their child. If you come to pick up your child in a vehicle then your child is a car rider no exceptions. Car riders will receive their assigned number once this form is turned in. At the end of the day students’ will go to a designated area indicated below and they are expected to sit silently and read a book until their way home transportation is here.
Children are expected to leave school within fifteen (15) minutes of dismissal time. We realize unexpected delays in picking up children occasionally occur. In such a situation, we have the following expectations:
- If the ride has not arrived within 15 minutes after dismissal, the child will remain with the teacher on duty.
- Parents are encouraged to notify the office by 1:45pm if they are going to be late or if there is a change in transportation plans. This helps reassure the child.
- After 2:50pm, the parent or authorized person is to come to the office upon arrival, so the office staff will know the child has been picked up.
- If a child remains at school beyond 3:15pm, assistance from the principal will be needed to discuss how we can assist the child being picked up on time.
- Arrival Procedures
- Dismissal Procedures
- after care
- bus and daycare riders
- car rider pick up
- Walkers & Bike Riders
- Students will turn cellphones off prior to entering the building.
- Students have the option to turn their cell phones into the office and retrieve at the end of the day.
- Students will enter the building following hallway procedures at 7:15am and go directly to their locker then classroom.
- Students will greet their teacher with kind word, kind touch, and a smile at their classroom door.
- Students will begin their morning work and wait for breakfast in the classroom to begin.
- Follow parking lot and arrival procedures. See student handbook for more detail.
- Drop off is located in the front circle drive.
- Say ‘good-byes’ to students in the front lobby if you wish to walk them in. After the first week of school parents will not walk students down to their classroom. You must sign in as a visitor and permission from the teacher to visit the classroom.
- Always feel free to check with the office any volunteer services available for that day.
- Students collect belongings with quiet voices from locker and line up with their teacher.
- Students will use hallway and line procedures and walk with their teachers as go to their designated dismissal location.
- Students will sit down, wait silently, patiently and read a book.
- Students will wait for duty teacher to call their number, release walkers, call their bus or day car bus name.
- Follow parking lot, and dismissal procedures pertaining to your child’s way home.
- Pick up is located in the back of the school. Please see attached map.
- Pick up student(s) on time.
Bus riders and daycare riders will be dropped off and picked up in the front circle drive. Daycare vans need to make sure they stay behind the buses and allow the buses to load first. Our buses pull into the front circle drive about 2:20pm. Bus riders line up on the left side of the east hallway and read a book until bus arrives. Day care riders line up in the gym on the south wall and read a book.
Each family has been assigned a car number. Please hang the tag on your rear view mirror. The car rider line begins at the north end of the school. If you are the first car in line please pull up the first cone you see on the side walk. Please have your right side passenger door unlocked for your child(ren) to be loaded as quickly and safely as possible. Car riders will go to the gym and sit in in car rider number lines and read a book. Once they hear their number called over the microphone they will line up and be escorted out to the car rider pick up area. Our goal is to load 8 cars at one time so please watch for a teacher to direct you of when and how far to pull up. Students that need help buckling will have the help of the safety patrol or duty teacher. Please have your child(ren) buckle as quickly as possible. If having trouble buckling you may pull over to the right side past the very first loading cone. Please make sure you do not block a crosswalk area with your car or the circle drive exit in front of the school. It is strongly encouraged to make only right lane turns back out on to Harvard.
Children walking home (not walking to a car), or riding bikes will be go to the gym, sit in front of the stage and read a book. They are released through the front entrance and should always use a crosswalk to cross the street. Parents of students who walk home are encouraged to discuss with their children the importance of going directly home or to their designated caregiver after school.
Grimes Elementary School
3213 East 56 Street
Morning Drop off from 7:15-7:30:
Pull through the circle drive on 56th St and adults will be there to open your car and let the students out allowing for a quick drop off. Parents who choose to walk their child in need to park across the street in the neighborhood or in the parking lot to the west of the school and walk back to the front doors of the school.
Afterschool Pick up:
Parents/guardians drive up 56th St, past Grimes and enter the parking lot on the west end of the school, drive through and turn right on street that runs behind the school. The pickup line will start parallel to the large tree on the playground nearest Harvard. Please wait in your car and your child will be dismissed by their car rider number.